If you’re lucky enough to live right beside the ocean, I’m envious of not only your view of the surf, but the incredible fertilizer you have at your doorstep.
Sea minerals fertilizer is definitely my favorite organic fertilizer. It has very noticeably improved the health and increased the growth and yield of many of my plants.
Rivers and volcanoes have been adding minerals to the sea for hundreds of millions of years, which is why it is so nutrient dense in there.
That’s what we need to emulate in our gardens.
Fortunately these days, we all have access to it, even if we live far away from the sea…
Benefits Of Sea Minerals Fertilizer
Yes, the ocean has salt, but it also has over over 80 other minerals that are immediately available to plants upon application.
On the other hand, seaweed fertilizer and fish fertilizer and most organic fertilizers need to be worked on by microorganisms first – not a problem if you’re ensuring these microorganisms are there, but just an extra step in the process.
Dr. Maynard Murray was one of the early pioneers of using sea minerals for fertilizer. He purchased a farm and started bringing railroad cars of ocean water in to fertilize it.
He got bigger yields, tastier and more nutritious food, far fewer pests and just healthier plants in general.
How To Use Straight Ocean Water In The Garden
If you’re lucky enough to live near the ocean, you don’t need to go through the process of concentrating the sea water down and removing the sodium chloride.
Certainly, there are benefits to that, but there’s also something to be said for walking out your door and getting some free fertilizer.
Of course, you don’t want to use ocean water from a polluted bay, but if your little piece of sea is relatively clean, go for it.
As for application rate, early experiments showed that various plants would take anywhere from 1200-3000ml of sea water per square foot of soil. That’s a lot! Apparently 1 application would last for 5 years.
If I’m doing it, based on what I’ve learned, I apply more like 1 teaspoon diluted in 3 Tablespoons of water (1:10 ratio) per square foot (5000ml of ocean water per 1000 square feet), 4 times per year every year, for both foliar and soil applications.
But most of us don’t live by the ocean. Fortunately, there are a couple of companies doing a really good job of concentrating that sea water down into a liquid fertilizer while still retaining the important constituents of the water.
Finding A Quality Sea Mineral Fertilizer
The product I use is called Sea-Crop and I’ve been using it for many years. Thirty gallons of seawater are used to make 1 gallon of this concentrate.
There are a couple of reasons I like it more than the other ocean fertilizers I’ve tried:
- The first is that 95% of the sodium chloride is removed. Now in my view, this isn’t as big of a deal as the manufacturer contends, as I believe the sodium and chlorine are just part of the natural balance of sea minerals, but what I do like is that have less sodium allows for a higher application rate than could otherwise be used.
- But the bigger reason I like this product is that they do a great job of retaining the microscopic organic component of the water – the dead (and perhaps some living) microbes and plant matter. I’ve done a lot of research into the various methods of processing ocean water and usually this component is substantially decreased, especially in sea solids fertilizer such as ‘Sea Minerals FA’ and ‘Sea 90 Fertilizer’, therefore so is the effect on plants (these are still fine products and certainly useful in some cases, but I prefer the much more alive Sea-Crop).
And here’s an email from a biology student who took it upon himself to test the product:
“My name is Josh, I bought 1 gallon of Seacrop at the 2015 Tilth and promised a subjective microscopic analysis. For the procedure, I filled mason jars 3/4 with deionized water and added the exact same weight of inoculant (containing bacteria and fungi) to each container. Subsequent additions of kelp extract and fish emulsion were identical between samples, as were temperature and oxygen components. The only perceivable discrepancy amongst samples was addition of Seacrop to only one sample. The difference in bacterial population was astounding, where the non-Seacrop sample had no bacteria and the sample with Seacrop was exploding with a diverse range of beneficial bacteria. Good job on a great product that works better than I could have imagined!” Joshua Peterson, Entomological Aide and Biocontrol Technician, Wenatchee Valley College
How To Use Sea Crop In The Garden
It’s more expensive than liquid kelp and fish, but the application rate is only 1/3 quart per 1000 square feet annually (up to 2/3 quart for orchards), so it doesn’t end up costing much more.
I use 1/3 cup of sea minerals fertilizer per 1000 square feet (or 2/3 cup for orchards), every other month, alternating with liquid fish fertilizer (eg. fish in March, sea minerals in April, fish in May, etc.).
So for me, 1 quart will do 1000 square feet for 3 years, and 1 gallon will do 4000 square feet for 3 years.
Mix it with at least 50 times as much water, which is 1/3 cup (5 Tbsp) per gallon of water.
Sea minerals is great mixed with liquid seaweed and molasses/dextrose. It also goes well with EM, compost tea and mycorrhizal fungi. The manufacturer of this sea minerals says it’s best not to apply it in the same spray as liquid fish in order to keep its effectiveness optimal – I’m not sure how big of an issue that is, but it’s one reason I started alternating them every other month.
To soak your seeds for 4-12 hours before planting, you can mix it with 100 times as much water, which is 1/2 teaspoon per cup of water. I also often mix with liquid seaweed when I do this.
You Can Get It Here
In summary, this sea minerals fertilizer:
- Is my favorite fertilizer, often producing very impressive increases in growth and yield, not to mention plant health.
- Is made by concentrating clean ocean water 30 times, removing most of the sodium chloride, keeping the other remaining 80+ elements along with the beneficial organic component.
- Is organic, OMRI-Listed and the most sustainable fertilizer I know of.
As a free bonus when you order today, I’ll also enroll you in my online Biostimulants course.
Just choose your container size and click ‘Add To Cart’ up above!
- Shipping is $10 (if your order is $99 or less) or free (if your order is $100 or more).
- I ship in the U.S. only. I ship 7 days a week.
- All of my products have a 1 year 100% money-back guarantee.
- If you have a question about a product, leave it in the comment section below I'll try to respond within a few hours.
- Dry fertilizers and compost tea brewers ship separately so they will arrive on their own maybe a day or 2 apart from my other products.
- With every order, I send $1 to Organics 4 Orphans and other similar organizations. O4O is working with the world’s poor to help them grow organic, highly nutritious, highly medicinal food for themselves, and then use the surplus food to generate income for themselves as well as feeding the orphans in their communities. My hope this year is to again send $1500US, which is enough to start projects in 25 new communities!
Free $25 Bonus When You Buy Today
When you buy this sea minerals fertilizer, you get enrolled in my online Biostimulants course.
The course includes 10 videos totaling about 75 minutes where I chat about seaweed, fish, sea minerals, molasses/dextrose, rock dust, and how to use them all.