Series: Soil and Soil Food Web
- 9 Ways To Help The Beneficial Fungi In Your Soil
- Mycorrhizal Inoculant – Hard To Spell, Easy To Use
- How To Make Effective Microorganisms – Step By Step
- Compost Tea Recipe – Inoculate Your Garden With Microbes
- Soil Nutrient Testing – 2 Ways To Approach It
- Where To Buy Compost – Tips For Finding The Good Stuff
- Composting At Home – 4 Secrets For The Best DIY Compost
- How To Use Compost – 4 Important Things To Remember
- Sheet Mulching – Follow This Advice For The Best Mulch
- Rock Mulching – The Best Mulch Technique Ever?
I’ve written already about the best mulch types to use in your organic garden, but here I’ve put together a video that shows a rather amazing rock mulching technique I didn’t talk about before.
If you have certain bigger plants that are special to you, like a new fruit tree for example, you can use rock mulching with leaves to make the best mulch for improving the soil extremely quickly, resulting in amazing plant growth.
Place a few inches of leaves – which I’ve already shown are the best mulch type – around the root zone of the new tree. Cover those leaves with round stones or flagstones that are small enough so that you can handle them, but big enough to cover some of the leaves.
Doing this rock mulching technique facilitates rapid breakdown of the leaves. They may take 6-8 months to break down normally, but the rock mulch might bring it down to 2 months or so.
Rock Mulching Success Tip
The key to success here is doing it a few times. Yes, you have to remove the rock mulch by hand every couple of months and apply more leaves and place the rocks back by hand. The first time, the leaf mulch will disappear quickly and that will be interesting enough. But subsequent times, you’ll begin to notice a thick layer of worm castings where the leaf mulch once was.
This rock mulching technique is a bit of work. Not much, but it might take 15 minutes to do a tree. It’s not a practice most of us will wish to do long term, but we may want to do it for the first growing season to give the trees an incredible boost. To me, this is the best mulch technique ever.
I show how it’s done in the video.
Any questions about rock mulching to make the best mulch for your organic garden? Let me know below.